952

 

ALBURGH PARISH COUNCIL

 

Minutes of the Parish Council Meeting held on Thursday, 1st February 2018 at 7.30pm in Alburgh Village Hall.

 

Parish Councillors present:

Mrs. Gladden-Fenn – Vice Chair

Mrs. Davis

Mrs. Gedge

Mr. Stiffel

Mr. Renaut

 

Also attending: 5 members of the public, Margaret Stone: County Councillor, Mrs J Ellis: clerk.

 

1     Welcome by the Vice Chair Mrs. Gladden-Fenn

Mrs. Gladden-Fenn will chair this meeting as Mr. Denny is absent

 

  1. To receive and accept apologies for absence: Mr. Denny, Mrs. Beckett, Dr. M. Gray

 

  1. To receive any declarations of interest from members on any item to be discussed – None

 

  1. To approve and sign the minutes of the last meeting

The minutes of the January 2018 meeting were signed by Mrs. Gladden-Fenn as a correct record.

 

  1. The meeting was not adjourned for public participation as no member of the public had any comments. Mrs. Walton said that she wanted to speak about the Land at Homersfield Bridge and it was agreed that this could be discussed later in the meeting.

 

  1. Reports from our District and County Councillors

Dr. M. Gray emailed the following report in his absence:

  • The Better Broadband for Norfolk project intends to install a second fibre broadband cabinet near Shingle Farm to serve the north end of the village.  No date is given other than it will be before March 2020.
  • South Norfolk and Broadland councils have started discussions on sharing staff and services.  The first stage will be for the Councils to share 3 senior planning officers each of whom will spend 2-3 days per week at each Council.
  • Consultation on the Greater Norwich Local Plan runs until 15th March.  These are no sites currently put forward by Alburgh landowners but sites can still be proposed during this consultation period.
  • It is expected that the SNC proportion on the Council tax to rise from £140 to £145 for a Band D property, a rise of about 3.5%.
  • The next stage in getting the Alburgh parish boundary changed at Greenland Barn comes on 19th February when the change is likely to be agreed at the full SNC meeting.  Following that the Council will write to the Boundary Commission seeking a change in the ward boundary to match the parish boundary.

 

 

 

 

953

Mrs. M. Stone reported as follows:

Castle Museum are offering fun events, activities and talks to Norfolk residents through a series of family events in the next few months.

Norfolk Fire and rescue service are recruiting.

Police and crime commissioner has been asked to look at bringing fire services as well as police services under his scrutiny rather than NCC.

Following the latest Ofsted inspection; The County Council’s adoption service is outstanding.

Speeding was discussed and what could be done about this.  Mrs. Stone will bring this up again with the highways officer.

 

As Mrs. Stone wanted to leave the meeting early, Item No. 12 The Land at Homersfield Bridge was brought forward and as such included in public participation.

 

We have received an email from Keith Jones of NPS Property Consultants informing us that Norfolk County Council owned land at Homersfield Bridge has been declared surplus to requirements by committee and NPS have been instructed to dispose of the land for the best consideration.  William H Brown auctioneers have been instructed to inspect the land with a view to auctioning it in April 2018.

Mrs. Gladden-Fenn asked what parish councillors thought and all were in agreement that we opposed the proposed sale of this land.  This is a valuable community asset, used by many local people, visitors and tourists.

Ruth Walton has been looking in to this and has spoken to Geoff Doggett from the River Waveney Trust and also Gordon Lascelles a trustee.

Margaret Stone offered her support and it was agreed that we would write to NCC and forward all the information we have to Mrs. Stone.  We will also contact the other local councils seeking their support.

 

  1. To discuss matters arising from the minutes of the last meeting

Training – Provisional date set for Tuesday, 24th April 2018.  The clerk will put this date forward to Julia Prior of the Local Council Public Advisory Service.

 

  1. Correspondence

South Norfolk Council is carrying out its annual consultation on setting its budget for 2018/19 and would welcome responses from residents and local businesses.  This can be done on SNC’s website.

 

  1. Update on Film Night

The last film showing was ‘Dunkirk’ and was again well attended.

 

  1. To discuss and comment on the Greater Norwich Local Plan

The public consultation on the Greater Norwich Local Plan runs to 15th March 2018.  The consultation is asking for views on future housing growth.  Mrs. Gladden-Fenn, Mrs. Davis and Mrs. Gedge attended a road show in Harleston where there was a lot of information. As Dr. Gray reported earlier there are no proposed sites in Alburgh.

 

  1. To approve revised Risk Assessments

Each councillor has received a revised copy of our Risk Assessments.  All councillors were happy and these were approved.

 

  1. Mrs. Gladden-Fenn to give report on recent Police Meeting

The meeting was held on 10th January at Diss Youth Community Centre.

Jim Squires, the Engagement Officer reported on the main concern in the community which is speeding.  They are concentrating on 5 spots in each local area (Alburgh being one of these) where they visit and

 

954

check speeds.  In a ‘20’ controlled zone the Police have no power but in the ‘30’ they can prosecute speeds of 37 or more.

Support in the rural community is helped by having a new 4×4 vehicle, specials on horseback and a Drone with thermal imaging which is based at Attleborough.

Other concerns are theft of heating oil, lead from Church roofs, drugs and Vehicle ASB.

 

  1. Playing Field Report

Mrs. Davis did report.  All was in good order.

It was agreed to remove the bin on the back hedge as this is not used.

 

  1. To arrange date for Litter Pick

South Norfolk Council’s Big Litter Pick 2018 is launching soon.  As we have done this in previous years it was decided that we would do it again this year.  The date decided on was Saturday, 14th April 2018.

Mrs. Gladden-Fenn will speak to SNC and arrange this.

 

  1. To report on planning decisions, applications commented on since last meeting

None

 

  1. Mrs. Gedge to give update on parish council taking on the Tuesday Group shrub borders in the Millennium Garden

The Tuesday Group were more than happy for the parish council to take on the shrub borders.

 

  1. To approve payments to be made and monies received

Payments:  J Ellis, Clerk salary £178.55, plus expenses £21.60

Moviola £123.80

Alburgh Village Hall for hire of hall £297.00

Receipts:    Film Night £248.00 plus £20.00 ice creams

 

  1. To receive items for the next agenda

Discuss change of meeting dates for April and May.

Financial Regulations

Query on Holbrook Hill/Dove Hill as per ordnance survey map

Homersfield Picnic Site

 

The date and time of the next parish council meeting will be Thursday, 1st March 2018 at 7.30pm.

 

  1. The meeting was not adjourned for public participation (maximum 10 minutes) as no member of the public had any comments.

 

  1. Close of meeting

Mrs. Gladden-Fenn thanked everyone for attending and closed the meeting at 8.45pm.

 

 

Mr. Denny, Chairman Alburgh Parish Council, 1st March 2018.